Save time with a Custom Navigation Collection and Pagelet November 3, 2008Posted by Duncan in PeopleTools, PIA.
Frequently when I’m working I find that I’m visiting the same areas within the system regularly, so to make my life easier I’ll often create a Pagelet based on a custom Navigation Collection containing my often used components. This greatly reduces the number of clicks required for day-to-day work and could be really useful for end users.
NB: Nothing shown here requires the Enterprise Portal product.
An example can be seen here:
Creating the Navigation Collection
First, let’s create the Navigation Collection. You can have whatever menus/components you want in your collection.
- Go to PeopleTools > Portal > Portal Utilities > Navigation Collections
- Add a Collection with an appropriate Name and Description
- Click Add Folder
- Select Menu Folder, from the Employee Portal.
- Use the prompt to locate the folder to add, click the plus folder next to a high level menu to expand it and choose a child menu.
- Highlight the top level, and click Add Folder again. Repeat the process until you have added all your folders.
- I also added a links directly to the Components I used most often, like Process Monitor, and moved them to the top of the list.
- Click Save (and remember the name of your new Collection).
Publishing the Navigation Collection as a Pagelet
- Go to PeopleTools > Portal > Pagelet Wizard > Pagelet Wizard
- Add a New Pagelet and fill out the Title etc
- Choose a Data Type of Navigation Collection
- Choose a Portal of Employee and prompt to find your Navigation Collection (it seems to prepend ADMN to mine for some reason)
- I normally reduce the Max Child Links to 5.
- I choose the Menu layout.
- I set the ‘Parent Images’ = Small, Turn off ‘Parent Descriptions’ and set the ‘Child Display Type’ = Simple List.
- On the final page, check HomePage Pagelet, choose a folder, and set the security required.
That’s your Pagelet done. Now add it to your Homepage.
Adding a Pagelet to your Homepage
- From the PIA Homepage, select the ‘Personalize Content’ link.
- Place a Check in the Checkbox next to the Pagelet you want, then click Save.
- Click the Personalize Layout link.
- Select whether you want a 2 or 3 column layout, and move the new Pagelet to the column you wish it to appear in, click Save.